The Salvation Army of the Syracuse Area offers over 40 distinct services to residents of Onondaga County and serves more than 41,000 individuals each year. Many of our programs would not be possible without the thousands of hours that are donated each year by our generous volunteers. Below are some of the programs where volunteers are most needed.
• Day Care Centers & After School Program (must be 16 or older) - basic child care tasks, recreational actitivites, arts and crafts and tutoring
• Food Pantry- help food pantry staff sort, stock, package and distribute groceries for needy families. Some lifting of heavy items is required.
• Senior Center - help serve meals, provide companionship and participate in recreational activities.
• Emergency Shelter - volunteers are needed Monday through Friday from 4pm to 6pm and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 11am to assist in preparing and serving meals. Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, or at least 14 if accompanied by a parent or guardian.
• Facilities Department - projects include cleaning, painting, light plumbing and carpentry.
• Administrative Support - The Development and Human Resources Departments are always looking for support with basic office tasks.
The Salvation Army sponsors several special events throughout the year that require volunteer support. Right now, we are signing up volunteers for our Turn-Around Jumpers 3 on 3 Basketball Tournament, coming to Le Moyne College June 6-8, 2014.
During the holiday season, The Salvation Army utilizes thousands of volunteers for a wide variety of activities that include ringing bells at our red kettles, sponsoring food & toy drives and helping with Christmas Bureau Distribution. Check back in September to find more information about these opportunities.
Andrew Sabbaghzadeh - (315) 434-1395 - Volunteer & Community Relations DirectorVolunteer Application